Avocado is quickly becoming touted as the magical fruit that we need to consume on a daily basis. With tons of healthy fats and 20 different vitamins and minerals and more potassium than bananas, avocados are the new super food of choice.
Here are ten more reasons why you should definitely be eating more avocados:
- Anti-inflammatory properties – Avocados contain phytosterols, carotenoid antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, and polyhydroxolated fatty alcohols, all of which make this fruit a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. (Medicaldaily.com)
- Lowers cholesterol – This super fruit is filled with fats that are good for you, specifically monounsaturated fat, which helps lower bad cholesterol. (Medicaldaily.com)
- Reduces risk of cancer – Possessing a mix of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, avocados are able to combat certain cancers such as mouth, skin, and prostate cancer. A 2007 study in Seminars in Cancer Biology found that the phytochemicals found in avocados encourage cancer cells to stop growing and/or even die out. (Medicaldaily.com)
- Eye health – Avocados are a great source of lutein which helps protect against eye disease. (Besthealthmag.ca)
- Helps with weight loss – Half an avocado contains 3.4 grams of fiber, both soluble and insoluble, which helps slow the breakdown of carbohydrates in the body which helps you feel fuller for longer. (authoritynutrition.com)
- Heart health – Avocados are high fat foods, however, the majority of the fat is oleic acid which is a monosaturated fatty acid which is good for the heart and reduces inflammation. (authoritynutrition.com)
- High in Potassium – Incredibly high in potassium with a 100 gram serving containing 14% of the RDA, compared to 10% in bananas, as a result avocados are linked to reduced blood pressure. (authoritynutrition.com)
- Antioxidant absorption – Studies have shown that adding avocado or avocado oil to salads or salsa can increase antioxidant absorption by 2.6 to 15 fold. Therefore, avocados can drastically increase the nutrient value of other plant foods you consume. (authoritynutrition.com)
- Relieve arthritis – An extract from avocado has been shown to significantly reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis. (authoritynutrition.com)
- Delicious and easy to eat – With their creamy texture and delicious taste, it’s not hard to love avocados. Not only that but they easily go with all sorts of foods and recipes. (authoritynutrition.com)
So, if you haven’t eaten an avocado lately, give it a try there are more reasons than not to incorporate this amazing food into your daily diet.