While they may seem a little intimidating at first, yoga inversions are extremely useful when it comes to a fulfilling yoga practice and they make you feel like a complete badass to boot. Generally categorized as any asana in which the head is below the heart, inversions shake things up a bit and are a valuable addition to your practice and your life.
Here are five more reasons why you should be working on those inversions.
- Reverse blood flow and improve circulation – Let gravity naturally provide your brain with more oxygen which increases mental function.
- Energize – Getting yourself upside down moves more blood to the brain resulting in reinvigoration. Feeling a bit tired and run down? Try an inversion!
- Increase core strength – Inversions build core strength especially in shoulders and arms.
- Build confidence – When you try and accomplish a new yoga pose, especially one as challenging as an inversion, you’re confidence soars…and so does your skill level.
- It’s fun – As described in yoganonymous, inversions reintroduce us to our inner child and remind us to be playful in light-hearted, not only in our yoga practice but in life in general.
These are just a few reasons to keep working on your inversions but there are so many more. Master your inversions at Old Town Yoga. We would love to give you tips to help conquer this pose and get upside down!